It’s Halloween time! You can bake several cupcakes using official Halloween colors ; orange and black.
Cupcakes ingredients (makes 12).
- 1 stick softened butter.
- 1 cup light brown sugar.
- 2 eggs.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour.
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
- ¾ cup milk.
- 9 oz of cream cheese, chopped, at room temperature.
- 1 ½ cups if confectioners’ sugar.
- Orange (or red + yellow) food coloring.
- Black food coloring.
Directions for cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350º F and line a standard cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Put the softened butter and sugar in a bowl. Using a electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat eggs, one a time, until combine.
- In a different bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, spices and cocoa powder.
- Add the second bowl to the butter mixture in two batches alternating with milk mixing to form a smooth batter.
- Using two spoons, fill about ¾ of each paper cupcake liners.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake tests clean.
- To cool, transfer to a wire rack.
Directions for frosting
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar with a electric mixer until smooth.
- Separate 2 tablespoons of frosting in a small bowl.
- Add orange (or red and yellow) food coloring to the big bowl to make a orange frosting.
- Add black food coloring to frosting’s rest.
- Fill a pastry bag with orange frosting and decorate each cupcake using your favorite pastry tip.
- Fill a pastry bag with black frosting and make the details.
- You can use several candies to top the cupcakes.
- You can fill the cupcakes with pumpkin butter. Yummy!