The most famous American Pie!
Ingredients for crust
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour.
- 1 cup (or 2 sticks or 8 oz) very cold margarine, cut in small pieces.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 6 tablespoons ice water.
Ingredients for filling
- 5 apples Granny Smith.
- ½ cup granulated sugar.
- ½ cup dark brown sugar.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter.
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg.
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest.
Directions for pie crust
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Add margarine.
- Mix using your hands.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ice water a time and mix with your hands until you have a compact dough.
- Split the dough in 2 pieces.
- Put each dough in plastic wrap and put in the fridge at least 1 hour, up to 2 days.
Directions for filling
- Peel the apple, core it and cut in slices.
- In a bowl, add apples, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, flour, cinnamon, butter, salt, nutmeg, and lemon zest.
- Stir all the ingredients and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Keep refrigerated for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 390º F.
- Remove one dough from the fridge and let at room temperature at least 10 minutes in order to soften.
- Spread flour sprinkles over a surface and put the dough.
- With your hands make a circle.
- Using a rolling pin spread the dough circle. The dough should be bigger than the pie plate.
- Roll in in the rolling pan the dough and then roll out over the pie plate.
- Press the pie dough down and to sides.
- Using scissors, trim the dough about 2 inches from the edge of the pie plate.
- Remove from the fridge the filling and fill the pie. Put in order the apples to fill all space inside the pie.
- Remove the second dough from the fridge.
- Spread flour sprinkles over the kitchen surface and put the dough.
- Make a circle with the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, spread the dough circle.
- Roll in the dough in the rolling pin and roll out to cover the pie.
- Using your hands, seal the edges of the crust.
- Cut a small hole on the top of the crust to vent.
- Put in the oven for 50 to 55 minutes.
I love apple pie slice with two vanilla or butter pecan ice cream! Yummy !
Let cool before enjoy!