This is a traditional pie for Thanksgiving day!
Ingredients for crust
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour.
- 1 cup (or 2 sticks or 8 oz) very cold margarine, cut in small pieces.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 6 tablespoons ice water.
Ingredients for filling
- 1 ¼ cups pumpkin purée. You can use caned pumpkin purée.
- ½ cup granulated sugar.
- ¼ cup brown sugar.
- ½ teaspoon salt.
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour.
- 2 large eggs at room temperature.
- ½ cup heavy cream.
- ½ cup whole milk.
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
Directions for pie crust
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Add margarine.
- Mix using your hands.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ice water a time and mix with your hands until you have a compact dough.
- Split the dough in 2 pieces.
- Put each dough in plastic wrap and put in the fridge at least 1 hour, up to 2 days.
- Remove one dough from the fridge and let at room temperature at least 10 minutes in order to soften.
- Spread flour sprinkles over a surface and put the dough.
- With your hands make a circle.
- Using a rolling pin spread the dough circle. The dough should be bigger than the pie plate.
- Roll in in the rolling pan the dough and then roll out over the pie plate.
- Press the pie dough down and to sides.
- Using scissors, trim the dough about 1inche from the edge of the pie plate.
- Cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.
Directions for filling
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine pumpkin purée, sugars (granulated and brown), salt, ginger, cinnamon, and flour, and mix until combine.
- In small bowl, combine eggs, cream, milk, and vanilla, and beat lightly to mix.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pumpkin mixture, stirring to blend.
- Remove the pie shell from fridge and pour the filling into the shell.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until the filling is almost set. The center should still look slightly undercooked.
- Stop the oven and keep inside for 5 minutes. Residual heat will continue to cook the filling.
- Remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature before enjoy!