Here the recipe to bake a yummy red velvet cake!
Red Velvet Cake ingredients
Cream cheese frosting ingredients
You can make your own buttermilk adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of whole milk. After 15 minutes, you’ll have buttermilk.
Directions for cake
- Preheat oven to 355º F.
- Stir in a bowl flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder. and mix using a whisk.
- In a different bowl mix butter with sugar until creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs, one a time, and beat until mix.
- Add red food coloring to buttermilk. Be careful with stains! It’s very hard to leave from clothes!
- Add dry ingredients from the first bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder) in 3 times, alternating with buttermilk, and beat.
- Put in a round cake pan. or in two small round cake pans.
- Put in the oven about 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake tests clean.
- Let cool.
Directions for frosting
- Beat the cream cheese until creamy in a bowl.
- Add butter and vanilla extract and beat.
- Finally, add confectioners’ sugar and mix well.
- Cut the cake horizontally in 2 pieces. If you’ve baked it in two cake pans, don’t have to cut it.
- Spread the top of first layer with frosting using a spatula. Add the second layer and spread more frosting. Then, spread the cream cheese frosting to cover the entire cake.
- Keep refrigerate for 4 hours.
You can bake cupcakes instead a cake. Put a cupcake pan and fill paper cupcake liners with the batter using two spoons. Put in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a inserted toothpick tests clean. Use cream cheese frosting to decorate cupcakes.
3 Red Velvet cakes
Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting.
3 layer Red Velvet cake.
A piece of cake.
It’s Halloween time! You can bake several cupcakes using official Halloween colors ; orange and black.
Cupcakes ingredients (makes 12).
Directions for cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350º F and line a standard cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Put the softened butter and sugar in a bowl. Using a electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat eggs, one a time, until combine.
- In a different bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, spices and cocoa powder.
- Add the second bowl to the butter mixture in two batches alternating with milk mixing to form a smooth batter.
- Using two spoons, fill about ¾ of each paper cupcake liners.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake tests clean.
- To cool, transfer to a wire rack.
Directions for frosting
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar with a electric mixer until smooth.
- Separate 2 tablespoons of frosting in a small bowl.
- Add orange (or red and yellow) food coloring to the big bowl to make a orange frosting.
- Add black food coloring to frosting’s rest.
- Fill a pastry bag with orange frosting and decorate each cupcake using your favorite pastry tip.
- Fill a pastry bag with black frosting and make the details.
- You can use several candies to top the cupcakes.
- You can fill the cupcakes with pumpkin butter. Yummy!
Cupcakes with orange frosting
Brownie. Image source : Wikipedia.
Brownie is a popular chocolate kind of cake. You can eat it with coffee, milk or vanilla ice cream.
- Preheat your oven at 350º F and grease a square 9” x 13” cake pan.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- When the butter is melted, add the sugar and stir until combine. Then, let it cook for another 2 minutes, stirring.
- Put the mixture in a bowl. It should be thick.
- Add the eggs, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and vanilla extract to the bowl. Mix well until combined. You can use a whisk or a electric mixer.
- Add the flour and mix with a silicone spatula until combine.
- Stir with whisk for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Optional. Add chocolate chips and/or pecan nuts and stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. To know if the brownie if ready, you can insert a toothpick. If it comes out semi-clean, it’s ready.
- Cut in pieces of about 2 inches.
- In a plate, put 2 pieces.
- Put the plate in the microwave 20 seconds.
- Add 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream.